Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Well...

Is anyone else intimidated by the formalness of publishing a post?  I feel like I have to write something really worthy of being read instead of the random things that flit in my head.

A. Reagan, I think you would be a fantastic lawyer.  And I don't think you should be agonizing over not wanting to do what some of the rest of us do.  It's not glamorous at all (not that you necessarily thought it was), and some people really try your patience and are just down right irritating.  But being where you fit is a wonderful thing.  And I think you should pursue that in whatever form that may take.  One thing I am learning is to enjoy what I am good at and live the way that fits how I have been made, to not covet my neighbor's way of life.  Which also means to not covet my neighbor's spiritual walk, which I shall talk about later.

B. Brianne, I love hearing about the outdoorsy, active things you do and being able to 'see' how happy those things make you.  Also, I'm sorry your year is ending on sucky notes.  But I am confident your summer will be awesome, because you, my friend, are awesome.  So it really can't be anything else.  :)

So here are the things I am learning/doing: 
1. Don't be jealous over someone else's journey.  Which is hard b/c other people's journeys look really fun and sometimes mine doesn't.  I'm learning to see that things take time to happen, most people's significant events don't happen in a series of days, which is how it sounds when you read books b/c let's face it: all the boring day to day stuff rarely makes good reading material.  So I'm trying to enjoy my day to day life in the small things because the small things add up.  And if I've lived well in the small things, the big things will be just that much more fun!
2.  Ok, so some of you may remember me talking about TEC, which is was a high school retreat thing that was pretty significant to my high school years.  I learned a lot about Jesus and that was good.  However, there were a lot of things that didn't fit right, especially after I came back from Costa Rica, so they kind of fell by the wayside and I haven't really thought about TEC and all that jazz for a very long time.  Last week someone that I had done TEC with was at the nursing home, of all places, and stopped in my office to talk to me and I found myself saying that I would try Joppa, which is one of the very few young adult ministries in my area.  The people that go to Joppa have a reputation of being a little "out there" and I don't do that so well so I've been fairly hesitant to go.  Anyways, I went last Tuesday and I went again last night b/c it was only fair to try a couple times before saying yea or nay.  It's still a maybe so I guess I'll go again.  All of that to say, it's brought back a lot of things from my TEC days that I'm not sure I want to go back to and I'm trying to figure that all out.  Pretty vague, I know, but it's hard to put into words all of the things I feel.  I tend to be rather skeptical/cynical of the way a lot of people do church/express their faith b/c it sounds so trite and insincere.  Which isn't fair and there really is more to it than that because people really are sincere.  If I've offended you or just confused you, I'm sorry.  Like I said, it's hard to explain.  Maybe it's just really easy to pretend that we have God figured out and he's just doing so much in my life and everything's grand and...I don't buy it.  Which is why I love going to a liturgical church.  I can lose myself in the expression of faith that has been expressed by Christians for centuries and not feel manipulated by it and know that it's true.  And when I do feel like God has something he's trying to tell me I'm less likely to assume it's a result of well orchestrated atmosphere and more likely to listen. 


Wow, that was a lot of convoluted thinking.  Guess I needed to thought-vomit too. And now all the thoughts are gone and it's time for some sleep.  Love you all!

P.S. Brittany, if you took part in the chapel flash mob thing, that was fantastic.  Wish we'd thought of something cool like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment